Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Nit

From: zander
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Nit
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 20:35:58 +0200

On Tue, Oct 21, 2003 at 11:22:45AM -0700, Tom Lord wrote:
>     > From: address@hidden
>     > You see; exception handling is just about flow-control.
>
> It's more like an unholy marriage between flow control (in the form of
> upwards-only-continuations), dynamic scope (in the form of `try'
> clauses and the like), and pattern matching (in the form of `except'
> clauses and the like).
>
> There's so many variations on how to bring those three components
> together that perhaps the most expressive language is one in which
> they are all separately available so that you can code up the
> particular kind of exception handling that best fits the problem at
> hand.   In the meanwhile, the art for authors of general purpose
> libraries is then to write libraries that don't depend too strongly on
> any single exception mechanism -- for which purpose error codes are a
> pretty good answer.

I'm afraid you forgot to type a line at the end saying that the email
is your opinion and is based soly on opinions formed without any experience
in the matter.

I find it quite weak that when a couple of people try to explain the exception
handling of Java to you for the purpose of finding the nicest parts you want
to use in your own project, your response is that you simply think that the
technology used by millions sucks so bad they should go play outside.

A more mature; "I understand, but its not for me" would not leave such a foul
taste in my mouth.

--
Thomas Zander