Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Nit

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Nit
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 17:31:53 -0700 (PDT)

    > From: Charles Duffy <address@hidden>

    > One effective difference between C and Java: While there may be some
    > necessity of having an effective handler for any given error, Java's
    > syntax allows clumping rather than checking individually.

It's worth mentioning that the syntax optimization question (which is
what you're talking about, really) is a separate question from the
"exceptions or error-codes" question.  There's no reason you couldn't
make up a language that has a try-like syntax but uses error codes.
Java, if modified to enforce the stronger call-site checking I've
described, would be such a language.