[Gnu-arch-users] Re: Nit

From: Dustin Sallings
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Nit
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 21:28:59 -0700

On Tuesday, Oct 21, 2003, at 20:58 US/Pacific, Miles Bader wrote:

Dustin Sallings <address@hidden> writes:
You're dismissing an entire methodology because you think
you've found a small hole that might cause an exception to be handled
in the wrong place.

I think it's not a `small hole', it's a rather large one.

I understand it, but I'll really need to see where it will cause an actual problem rather than a misleading error message or something before I consider it a large problem.

        You appear to be an exceptional developer in your areas of
expertise, but you don't seem to have the experience with writing
reliable java applications that some of the ``java-fans'' have.

Java's exception model is hardly unique, it's exemplary of a very common
exception model.  So one doesn't need to be a java expert to say
something useful about this issue; java is just an example.

What languages do exceptions better? I still have quite a few programming languages to learn, but even checked exceptions as well as done in java seem somewhat rare.

I'm not trying to imply that I believe Java's are the best possible or anything like that. I know it can be much better. I want the compiler to do as much as it can to let me know where I am doing something wrong, but too few languages are helpful here.

Portable clu doesn't yet compile on my system, so I haven't tried that yet.

--
SPY                      My girlfriend asked me which one I like better.
pub  1024/3CAE01D5 1994/11/03 Dustin Sallings <address@hidden>