Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: [OT] Java is fun!

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: [OT] Java is fun!
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 15:22:02 -0700 (PDT)

    > From: Dustin Sallings <address@hidden>

    > I think there are lessons to be learned here for everyone.  Some
    > things may not work quite as well as some people expect in certain
    > cases, nor as poorly as others expect.  I still believe that the
    > failures that have been cited so far will, at worst,

I think you really want to say not "at worst" but "in most cases", and
that's a very important difference.

    > provide misleading
    > error messages when a failure occurs rather than causing the types of
    > problems we've seen in various persistent applications written in C
    > over the years.

I don't know what you mean by "persistent application" in this
context, or why you think that mention of C is anything other than an
Apples-to-Oranges kind of comparison.

Supposing that you might mean something like:

        "The dollar cost of bugs in programs written in C dwarfs the
         dollar cost of bugs relating to this weakness in Java's
         exception mechanisms."

my reply is:  Java is relatively young.  Give it time to mature.