Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: [OT] Java is fun!

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: [OT] Java is fun!
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 16:05:24 -0700 (PDT)

    > From: address@hidden

    >> Please defend your claim.

    > The fact that I countered this exact problem twice (with long
    > explenations and example code) in the last couple of days does
    > not count?

I believe, perhaps mistakenly, that you are referring mainly to
statements you made which I'll paraphrase as "if I change the throws
declaration of a method, the compiler will flag that".  What I have
since shown, partly in response, is that in the general case, you are
quite mistaken -- dangerously so.

    > > What's your point?

    > I know what java exceptions are about and their problems; if you feel you
    > want to produce a better product (tla) and maybe make a buck, I suggest
    > take my word for it and get on with your work; its not like tla will be
    > rewritten in java by you.

(Mostly because the regexp facilities in (quasi-)standard Java
packages suck. :-)

I'm not sure what the referent of "it" is in "take my word for it" and
haven't seen any evidence of why I should take your word about much
related to Java or about my revenues.

Overall, I guess your point is that you don't have one?

    > Or are you one of those guys that really need to be right?
    > In that case; you are right!

As to whether I'm "one of those guys that really need to be right?"
No, I'm not -- but I am one of those guy who doesn't much tolerate
things that are Wrong.   But I don't mind batting them about a bit
until they bleed out.   Sometimes they twitch in interesting ways.