Re: [Gnu-arch-users] arch_inventory_traversal

From: Alexander Deruwe
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] arch_inventory_traversal
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 13:24:20 +0200

On Thu, Oct 23, 2003 at 01:06:35PM +0200, RedHog (Egil M?ller) wrote:
> I have recently been queried about how good Arch (tla) was on handling
> large inventories. As a test, I imported the Linux kernel tree (about
> 100Mb), and it turned out a one-file-change took about 20min to
> commit. This is not acceptable, so I started profiling.

20 minutes is quite excessive.  What version of tla are you running?
For trees this size, you really want to use one of the latest 1.1[*]
builds, with the inode signature optimisation.

If you _are_ using tla 1.1, then yes, there is definately a problem.

*: in fact, using tla 1.1 is vastly preferable over 1.0, because 1.0
misses 'star-merge', tla's primary merging tool.

Alexander