[Gnu-arch-users] arch_inventory_traversal

From: RedHog (Egil Möller)
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] arch_inventory_traversal
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 13:06:35 +0200

I have recently been queried about how good Arch (tla) was on handling
large inventories. As a test, I imported the Linux kernel tree (about
100Mb), and it turned out a one-file-change took about 20min to
commit. This is not acceptable, so I started profiling.

I found out that arch_inventory_traversal was called 6 times with the
same root during a normal commit (3 timnes when making the changeset,
and the same number of times when updating the pristine tree), and
that it accounts for about 50% of the total running time of a commit.
As the inventory(-liting) does not change over a commit, caching the
result would be possible, and would save nearly half of the running
time (12min is still too much, but much better than 20).

My question now is whether someone opposes this, or if there are
issues I have overlooked, such as there being commands that actually
calls arch_inventory_traversal twice with the same root and changes
the inventory in between?

/Egil

--
http://redhog.org