[Gnu-arch-users] not everyone likes implicit shortcuts

From: Robin Farine
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] not everyone likes implicit shortcuts
Date: 09 Nov 2003 15:35:01 +0100

To comment once again on the general subject of spreading convenience
shortcuts in tla.

Almost everybody knows it already, I am against the kind of shortcuts
that pretend to know better than the user what is good for him. For
instance, I am not even using 'my-default-archive' because working
with a few archives regularly and having one as the default already put
me into trouble. But at least I have the choice to do so.

In fact, I rather like to be forced to specify explicitely from which
version to merge or to which branch--version I want to move my project
tree, it forces me to think about what I really want to do. Another
example is the convenient commit limit stuff that doesn't allow me to
build and test the state of the source tree which I m about to commit.
I would prefer an external tool that lets me edit and split a
changeset in two so that I can undo current changes, split the
changeset produced by undo, redo one of the new changesets or apply it
to another project tree, build, test and commit.

All this to ask people with a new shortcut idea to first consider
doing it in an external tool or, at a minimum, arrange for driving all
this kind of things from a "<key>: <value>" organized '=site-defaults'
file in '~/.arch-params' so that if I don't have such a file, tla
won't Do The Right Thing for me when in fact I forgot to mention
something in the command line.

I have the strange impression that we are trapped in a time loop.

--
rnf