[Gnu-arch-users] Re: Solaris 8?

From: Dustin Sallings
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Solaris 8?
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2003 23:20:12 -0800

On Nov 30, 2003, at 22:59, Miles Bader wrote:

The cool thing about solaris is that all the user utilities were
frozen -- including bugs -- around 1977 (Yes! Before sun was founded!).
This includes /usr/bin/awk, which is the oldest, cruftiest, buggiest
awk you can possibly imagine (e.g., no functions).  Isn't that special?

Sun includes a newer (though no doubt still absurdly riddled with bugs,
knowing Sun) version called /usr/bin/nawk, and many other OS
distributions include this as a compability link, which is why I usually
use /usr/bin/nawk in my awk scripts.  However apparently some vendors
don't do this, e.g., Colin reports than Redhat's Fedora 1 doesn't
include a nawk link.

For your sanity, I'd suggest installing gawk or something and calling
it `awk'.

I'm not sure what Tom's configure script should use, other than perhaps
searching for /usr/bin/nawk and using that if found, otherwise
defaulting to just `awk'.

I suspected something like this. Getting an awk -> nawk symlink earlier in my path seems to have got it going. Thanks for the help. Now it's just a matter of smacking around stupid shell builtins to get around problems like this:

test ! -e gen-alignment || rm gen-alignment
/bin/sh: test: argument expected

        This will be fun.

In another terminal, I'm getting postfix+sasl+ldap+tls on SunOS 4.1.4 on a Sun4c. For that, I had to port psh (my own parallel bourne shell hack) just to get a bourne shell that would actually run autoconf. SASL was a blast. Now I've been waiting for a couple of hours for the latest OpenSSL to build.

I think I'll try to see if I can get my cat to gnaw off my feet while I wait.

--
SPY                      My girlfriend asked me which one I like better.
pub  1024/3CAE01D5 1994/11/03 Dustin Sallings <address@hidden>