[Gnu-arch-users] Re: in-tree pristines fatally wounded (merge-fest etc)

From: Miles Bader
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: in-tree pristines fatally wounded (merge-fest etc)
Date: 02 Dec 2003 13:16:47 +0900

Tom Lord <address@hidden> writes:
>     > If you think of tla as being an end-user tool,
>
> I tend to think of it as a tool for programmers.

Er, well, programmers are users too...

> > Of course in the presence of conflicts and tree-local changes, you
> > can't exactly do this precisely, but it seems desirable to at least
> > keep the tree from drifting away from the `hard linked state' over
> > time as new revisions are incorporated.
>
> Too much magic.  Too fragile.

What about this:

   Maybe some sort of post-command `hey these files were updated, here
   have a go at unifying them with the library' hook could take care of
   this?  This hook could just choose a library somewhere and for those
   files that are the same [after updating], replace them with
   appropriate hard-links.

Hook name something like `updated-files' and somehow accept a list of
files (on stdin?).

Presumably this could also be done with post-command hooks for
replay/update/star-merge etc (are there such hooks?), though a bit less
efficiently, and with a bit more bother -- if there were a `link-sync'
command, it could be used in these hooks to do the work (right?).

-Miles
--
We have met the enemy, and he is us.  -- Pogo