Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: in-tree pristines fatally wounded (merge-fest e

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: in-tree pristines fatally wounded (merge-fest etc)
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2003 17:53:12 +0900

    Tom> I double dog dare them.  If I'm going down -- I'm taking some
    Tom> others with me.

Release under the GPL, which explicitly permits commercial use, and
then promise a sordid shitstorm if you don't get compensation when
somebody takes you at your word?  Tsk, tsk.

    Tom> On the other hand ... if any of them do that in an honorable
    Tom> way -- well, I'm game.  Let's hear the deal.

You know what the deal that would be offered is.  As heard from Ulrich
"They Don't Pay Me To Be glibc Maintainer" Drepper: 1/4 promotional
presentations outlined by the marketing department, 1/2 developing
features and bug fixes demanded by the marketing department, 1/4 in
meetings, and 1/4 working on whatever you think is needed.[1]

Is that honorable?

Footnotes:
[1]  I don't know if I believe him, but that is what he said, so it's
a plausible offer.  No, he didn't start drinking beer until hours
after he said that.  Yes, I heard it in the original English, as well
as in the Japanese translation (which was hysterically true to the
original, by the way).

Yes, I'm aware of the addition issue.  Interpretation is an exercise
for the reader.