Re: [Gnu-arch-users] tla python gui

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] tla python gui
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 11:25:10 -0800 (PST)

    > From: Yasushi Saito - at home <address@hidden>

The real reason to write is to say that:  I'm quite excited by the GUI
you are making.   I really _wish_ I could start trying it myself.
Unfortunately, the rather ancient machine and OS that I'm running make
it rather difficult (at best) to install.   So I have to remain a
vicarious observer, for now.

But:

    > No problem with changing the name.  octopy sounds good (but I still
    > don't see the link between octopus and arch...).

Octopi are clever, agile, and remarkably flexible.  So is arch.

Octopi move through their environnment with remarkable grace and
fluidity.  That is the goal for arch.

If you piss off an octopus he his likely to spew ink in your face,
leaving you in a cloud of confusion, and using the ensuing opportunity
to make his exit from the situation.  Some would say that I employ
comperable strategies on mailing lists.

Octopi like to eat "bivalves, crustaceans, gastropods, chitons, fish,
and even birds!"[1] and so do I!  In fact, a statistically significant
subset of arch users enjoy foods from at least some of those groups --
although the underlying reasons for that remarkable correlation have
yet to be articulated and thoroughly understood.   Mmmmm... bivalves.

As a comic-strip character, an octopus is a brilliant choice since she
can be posed in so many situations in a convincing manner.  Brilliant
choices are characteristic of arch :-).  (In contrast, imagine the
illustrators' options if the arch icon were, say, a stone arch.)

Finally, there are precisely eight design principles of central
importance which, collectively, determine the design of arch.
What those principles are, however, is left as an exercise for the
interested reader.

"even birds",
-t

[1] http://marine.alaskapacific.edu/octopus/Research%20energetics.php