Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: in-tree pristines fatally wounded (merge-fest e

From: Samuel A. Falvo II
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: in-tree pristines fatally wounded (merge-fest etc)
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2003 09:28:36 -0800

On Wednesday 03 December 2003 09:06 am, Tom Lord wrote:
> There are parts of the proposed library hacks that _are_ core
> functionality, and parts that are clearly "convenience" commands and
> ideally belong in itla.

I haven't been following this thread in depth, so forgive me if I'm way
off base.  But perhaps using some Scheme interpreter like Guile or pika
would come in handy here.

Suppose that we have a user issue the command:

$ tla inventory ...etc...

tla is just a wrapper around Scheme, and a provider for the core library
of services.  It would dispatch the `inventory' sub-command thusly:

1.  Find `inventory.scm' somehow.  Maybe have a set of script paths
established, and failing that, look in /usr/share/tla/scripts.  The
scripts that go in /usr/share/tla/scripts might be considered core
commands.

2.  Run the Scheme interpreter on that file, passing the additional
command-line arguments `...etc...' to the script via some global
variable or something.

This way, it'd be very easy to extend tla's built-in command-set just by
dropping in Scheme files.

Is this a good idea?  If not, why not?

--
Samuel A. Falvo II