[Gnu-arch-users] Re: two questions

From: Stig Brautaset
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: two questions
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2003 07:52:29 +0000

On Dec 07 2003, Joshua wrote:
> 1. is there any reason that an archive should not be moved from one
> machine to another by tar/gz, modulo obsoleting people's archive
> registrations?  Might changes to the archive format in the future make
> this operation problematic?

There is no problem in doing that, though setting up a mirror would be
my prefererred way of doing it. I don't see the archive format changing
in such a way that this becomes problematic.

> 2. will it ever be supported to change the tagging method for an
> already-tagged file?  I want to take some files I tagged with tagline
> and give them explicit tags without Arch thinking that I deleted the old
> files and added new ones.

Probably not. Each tagging method adds a prefix to the tag that
indicates the tagging method. I've not been able to come up with any
good arguments for doing this (and if they have been mentioned here I
cannot remember them). You'd have to ask Tom why it is done, I think.

Stig
--
brautaset.org