Re: [Gnu-arch-users] cygwin: once more

From: wlist
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] cygwin: once more
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2003 11:18:12 +0100

Hello!

Having abandoned the attempt to update hackerlab directly to support
long paths in win32 (thanks to Rob's discouraging (but accurate :-) )
remarks), I've taken up the Cygwin challenge.

I've applied the Thunking layer patches (with MAX_PATH set to 520) that
were posted on cygwin-patches, and running a tla import gives me a
vu_chmod error (I think Ron reported that he was getting this too).

I've run the import under strace, and it appears that Cygwin is failing
in the read_sd call (in security.cc). Looks like it's because the
GetFileSecurity call doesn't support long paths; unfortunately, it also
appears that there isn't a long-path Unicode version of this call.

Perhaps this isn't news to you, but I haven't seen it explicitly
mentioned anywhere. Does my analysis make sense?

FWIW I also had to add a condition(WIDE) initializer to the IOThunkState
constructor in cygio.h. Without this, long paths were causing the
condition to remain uninitialised when getWide was called, causing
interesting results. Perhaps this is already in a patch that I've missed
(and/or it's been fixed another way).

Regards, Pat Galea
--
"Everything should be covered with sponge." - pg