Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: How to back out a change

From: David Allouche
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: How to back out a change
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2003 12:30:40 +0100

On Sun, Dec 07, 2003 at 03:05:15PM +0000, Stig Brautaset wrote:
> On Dec 07 2003, Florian wrote:
> > Okay, it's a stupid question: What's the best way to back out a change?
>
> Do a 'sync-tree' with the previous revision.
>
> That leaves the patch log for the backed-out revision in the archive,
> but this is a good thing. It ensures that replay/update etc don't add it
> back in at a later point.

Mhh... just a question while we are at it.

Is is "correct" (it the sense that the various merge tools will behave
appropriately) to back-out a change which is not the latest revision
(but, say, the one-to-last revision) with replay --exact --reverse?

That seems the natural way to do it (and for Florian too, it seems). But
there is clearly an asymmetry with the tree-sync trick to back-out the
last change: with replay --exact --reverse the patchlog for the
backed-out change is removed.

Should that asymmetry be considered a mere wart, to be fixed one day when
someone get the right idea, or is it a symptom of a wider problem?

--
                                                            -- ddaa