Re: [Gnu-arch-users] 1.1 feature freeze

From: James Blackwell
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] 1.1 feature freeze
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 17:54:30 -0500

On Fri, Dec 12, 2003 at 02:52:22PM -0800, Tom Lord wrote:

>     > From: James Blackwell <address@hidden>
>     > I'm aware of these outststanding issues, in order of importance:
>     > 1. (This one comes from Andrew Suffield). The tree-lint and inventory
>     >   commands have a habit of listing .arch-ids in their output. This can
>     >   have some negative side effects when piped through a tla add command
>     >   that can catch both newbies and the unwary .
[snip]

> Not sure I follow exactly what the bug is (I have a guess though) but,
> yes, let's fix that.

The bug is that users unintentially do a "tla add .arch-ids/*". Though its
technically their fault, its happened to me enough times that I think we
should fix it.

If you're looking at a really short timeframe between freeze and 1.1
official it might be better if you or Andrew address this one. Though I
think the answer is probably in invent.c, I'm nervous that if I "fix"
invent.c so that intentory and tree-lint work the way that Andrew and I
want, I could cause an bug in unrelated code.

>     > 2. Tla grab, which I really want in 1.1, is still broken. The problem
>     >   seems to be in the way that grab is calling through the pfs layer
>     >   (everything comes up 404).
>
> The tutorial is currently silent on it so I see no need to disable it.
> I have no objection to merging further fixes to it before 1.1 (nor
> plans to hold up 1.1 for fixes -- but you have a few days at least).

Ok. I'll try and get it done this weekend.

>     > 3. tla 1.1 on shipment should have a library-browse command of some
>
> On the other hand, both library-browse and grab are arguably the kind
> of convenience commands that are "officially" one of the subjects of
> the 1.2 series.

I'm comfortable on 1.1.0 going out without a library-browse. However, I
think we should have it in an official release within the next three
months -- whether that's 1.2 or a 1.1.x.

--
James Blackwell        Using I.T. to bring more                570-407-0488
Owner, Inframix        business to your business        http://inframix.com