Re: [Gnu-arch-users] tla-1.1 RELEASE CANDIDATE and "heads up"s

From: Jason McCarty
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] tla-1.1 RELEASE CANDIDATE and "heads up"s
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 03:35:46 -0500

James Blackwell wrote:
> (address@hidden/tla--devo--1.1--patch-57)
> Ok. I've put a patch into my queue that changes the help for
> archive-mirror to the following:
>
> <--snip
> tla archive-mirror [options] [from [to] [limit]]

This does more accurately reflect the _current_ behavior. For the
purposes of a 1.1 release, it could be better to keep behavior the same
and only adjust the help text, as you've done. In the future, I would
much prefer archive-mirror to do as I described.

In any case, a couple tweaks: I think this is a bit closer to what
happens currently:
  tla archive-mirror [options] [{{from to} OR {mine}} [limit]]

> If no arguments are given, update your `my-default-archive'-MIRROR
> archive with the contents of `my-default-archive'.

This misses the case where `my-default-archive`-MIRROR isn't found but
`my-default-archive`-SOURCE is. Granted, you're unlikely to make your
default archive be a read-only mirror as I did in my example ;-)
Usually, my default archive is address@hidden and I do things like
  tla archive-mirror zsh-completion--tla

> If a [FROM] archive is given, update the [FROM]-MIRROR archive with
> the contents of the [FROM] archive

Likewise, it needs to mention the -SOURCE possibility.

> If both [FROM] and [TO] archives are specified, update [TO] with
> the contents of [FROM]

I think the original text was clearer (if more verbose), so long as the
syntax summary is fixed.

I appreciate your effort, but I feel a bit frustrated. I think the
changes in my archive are an improvement to the current behavior, so
I'll probably continue using them; I just don't get why I've had a hard
time explaining my viewpoint (several times since August, from a
Savannah bug report).

Jason