Re: [Gnu-arch-users] branching in shell arch vs. tla question (PLEASE!)

From: Aaron Bentley
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] branching in shell arch vs. tla question (PLEASE!)
Date: 16 Dec 2003 16:47:32 -0500

On Tue, 2003-12-16 at 16:52, Angles Puglisi wrote:

> > Now, with tla, the preferred branch method is "tag", the only example of tag
> > used to make a branch in the tutorial is for "Alice" making a branch of a
> > non-local archive. I'm using only local archives and local working dirs,
> > and I
> > want to make a branch and have a whole tree working directory to play with
> > and
> > commit to said branch. How do I do this now? Tag seems to operate on the
> > "archive" level and not giving me a new source tree working directory
> > identifiable as that branch.

The tutorial is just showing that you *can* make a branch from a remote
archive.  But you can use the local archive just as easily.

First, you create the branch.  If Alice wants to create a branch:
tla tag hello-world--mainline--0.1--patch-1 hello-world--alice--0.1
This creates the new branch "alice" in the same archive as "mainline".

Note that I didn't include the archive name here, because we're using
the default archive for both the source revision and the branch
revision.

Next you make a local copy of the branch:
tla get hello-world--alice--0.1 ~/src/alicehello

>From here on in, it's business as usual.

Hope that helps,

Aaron

--