[Gnu-arch-users] speaking of libraries

From: Tom Lord
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] speaking of libraries
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 08:27:50 -0800 (PST)

Speaking of greedy libraries....

One use-case that I wanted to handle well is that typical of a
gatekeeping maintainer:

For this purpose, a "gatekeepring maintainer" is someone who has:

1) a small set archives that are his primary archives

   Most of his work consists of committing changes to these
   primary archives.

2) a large set of secondary archives, mostly mirrors

   Much of his work consists of merging changes from
   these secondary archives.

My feeling was that a gatekeeper is likely to want a long-lived
library for his primaries (perhaps even a non-sparse library)
but would want to periodically flush the "secondary archives" from
his library.

The way that library paths and greediness interact was designed
with that in mind.    A solution is:

a) make two libraries, primary and secondary

b) list them on his library _add_ path (see my-revision-library -H)
   in the order:  secondary, primary

c) make both libraries greedy

d) by hand, add at least one revision from each primary archive to the
   primary library (and make sure that the secondary library does not
   contain anything from the primary archives).

Thereafter, greedy adds of revisions from the primary archives will
go automatically to the primary library, and all other greedy adds
will go to the secondary library.