[Gnu-arch-users] (no subject)

From: Tom Lord
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] (no subject)
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 09:42:28 -0800 (PST)

Subject: Re: Are pristine trees really dead?

    >>> = Pau
    >> = Tom
    > = Pau

    >>> Tom, I know it's a lot hell of code,

    >> I admit that tla has become too large (~57K LOC in libarch)
    >> but I'm not so sure than any one component of it counts as a
    >> hell of a lot of code.

    > I did not mean to be unpolite, it's just a way of speaking.

Hmm.  I should have put a smiley in maybe.  I didn't take offense in
the slightest.

    > What I propose is very simple:

    > -add a create .arch-cache + make it the default revlib in the make
install
    >  script.

    > Later on we can think of pruning processes. tla prune-library?

I agree with the general principle but I'm confused on a few points.

You want to create .arch-cache in the "make install" script?   I
thought that that was supposed to be ~/.arch-cache but not every user
of arch is ever going to run "make install".

Does this default library wind up in my library path?  Or is it just a
default that is used when my library path is empty?   Sometimes, at
least for testing purposes, I clear my library path expecting to get
"library-less operation" -- I wouldn't want to see that stop working.

I'm also concerned about the presumably non-trivial number of users
who's usual place to "do work" is on a different device from ~/.
A default under ~/ won't work nicely with --link, sure.  But also,
I think it will just piss some users off if arch suddenly
automagically starts storing large amounts of data under ~/.