Re: [Gnu-arch-users] oh the heck with it -- tla-1.2pre0

From: Andrew Suffield
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] oh the heck with it -- tla-1.2pre0
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2003 19:01:45 +0000

On Wed, Dec 31, 2003 at 09:18:21AM -0800, Tom Lord wrote:

>     > From: Andrew Suffield <address@hidden>
>
>     > People have tried to abuse the encryption form for one-to-many
>     > purposes before now (either via a shared secret, which defeats
>     > the point, or via encrypting multiple times, which is an
>     > infeasible use of resources). It doesn't work - at best, it is
>     > equivalent to a shared secret system.
>
> This sounds like just a configuration issue.  A good point but more
> about how to use the proposed feature rather than an argument against
> it.
>
> If I have N sites to whom I need to xmit an encrypted archive, there's
> no reason I can't make N separately encrypted mirrors.

Disk space and encryption time. Doing it for 5 sites may be
reasonable; doing it for 50 is impractical - and this won't change as
computing power increases (since the complexity of the encryption
systems must increase in step with avaialble computing power, to
defend against brute force attacks, usually by increasing key and hash
size).

[I think that if anybody ever creates a genuine one-to-many encryption
mechanism, it'll be approximately as revolutionary as public key
cryptography; I certainly have enough uses for such a thing.]

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |