Re: [Gnu-arch-users] oh the heck with it -- tla-1.2pre0

From: Dustin Sallings
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] oh the heck with it -- tla-1.2pre0
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 16:44:24 -0800

On Dec 30, 2003, at 13:36, Andrew Suffield wrote:

  Is it possible to create encrypted archives ?

What on earth is this supposed to accomplish?

openpgp encryption is many-to-one, not one-to-many - I can't see how
it adds anything here.

I use gpg to encrypt my database dumps on the way out of the DB such that they may be decrypted with one of two or three different keys that are kept in different places. By the times the dumps hit the disk, I should safely be able to post them to usenet, or use whatever other means of distribution I'd want to use.

Likewise, I have an archive of private stuff that I'd love to replicate in all of my usual places, but it's more sensitive stuff I don't necessarily want the world to see. Knowing that the history of such things is safe both in the revision control system and in the distribution of the archives seems like a good thing to me.

--
SPY                      My girlfriend asked me which one I like better.
pub  1024/3CAE01D5 1994/11/03 Dustin Sallings <address@hidden>