Re: [Gnu-arch-users] oh the heck with it -- tla-1.2pre0

From: Dustin Sallings
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] oh the heck with it -- tla-1.2pre0
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 21:54:52 -0800

On Dec 30, 2003, at 21:14, James Blackwell wrote:

        Encrypted storage.  I.e. I could replicate my archive to a location
that could mirror it for me offsite (I do this with a machine at my
office) without anyone being able to see the contents of the archive in
transit or on the system.

My vote on this one is no.

Encrypted storage is antithetical to arch's intended purpose. Arch
exists to solve the problems of distributed source code revision
systems, not to operate as a secure remote backup utility.

That was an example where I was intending to show that the archive can be placed in less-trustworthy places, not where I was trying to suggest how I'd use it. I have an archive that is replicated that I would really rather have encrypted if possible. It's got personal stuff in it (letters to attorneys and what-not).

Are you suggesting that arch should only be used when all people who can access the files are permitted to check them out?

I imagine that as long as gpg is there to provide signatures but not encryption, there will be plenty of people wondering why encryption isn't available. It's the logical next step, and it is useful for one of my archives right away.

I do, of course, realize how much more simple it is to add signature support than changeset encryption.

--
SPY                      My girlfriend asked me which one I like better.
pub  1024/3CAE01D5 1994/11/03 Dustin Sallings <address@hidden>