Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Question on --link and commit/update/replay

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Question on --link and commit/update/replay
Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2004 20:03:48 -0500

On Fri, Jan 02, 2004 at 12:34:32AM +0100, Samuel Tardieu wrote:
> In case where {arch}/=link is present

Note that this should be {arch}/+link, since it's per-checkout information,
not something stored in the archive.

> | I wouldn't at all mind a new command, `relink', that could be run
> | periodically to replace files with links and I can't think of a good
> | reason off the top of my head not to consider a --relink option to
> | `commit' (treating commit specially since it wouldn't have to compare
> | files).
>
> I would prefer not to give lots of options to lots of commands. If I have
> indicated that I want a "tla get --link", I think it is reasonnable
> to consider that I want to use links in subsequent operations.

I agree, but it would be also good to have a `relink' command that did a
good thorough job of making sure links are present where possible, in
addition to the quicker (but probably more efficient) checks that the
various more usual commands could do.  That would take some of the burden
off those commands, so they could just `try their best'.

-Miles
--
The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.
  --Albert Einstein