[Gnu-arch-users] Re: extended attributes

From: Aaron Bentley
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: extended attributes
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2004 01:02:10 -0500

Tom Lord wrote:

   > From: Aaron Bentley <address@hidden>

> Perhaps a fully transactional filesystem was never what was needed. > Maybe all that's needed is a variant of rename(2) that only changes the
   > number of links, atime and mtime.

Huh?  Can you explain in more detail what you are thinking of because
I don't get it from that description.
For atomic file updates, rename(2) does too much. It modifies or creates a directory entry to have default ownership, permissions and time values.

mtime?   really?  What?!?

I mean "file modification time" from struct stat's st_mtime.

A variant of rename could be called move_contents(). It would simply do less. Not change ownership, permissions or file creation time. But it could change #of links, would change inode, modification time and access time. An update done with open() and write() would not change inode or links, but I think this is as close as you can get to atomic updates without adding locks or another layer of indirection.

   > Well, yes.  But some things that could be quickly implemented were not
   > because the need wasn't apparent.

Sure.  Informally, it feels like the original idea was "every file is
a sequence of bytes; directories being files that can only be written
to via dir-modifying system calls" and then it's all downhill from
there.  (You know, extended attributes ain't nothing -- you can
probably still find people with principled objections to symlinks.)
Ah, diversity. I guess I'm a primitive for using vim. I've used edlin too, but not ed.

Aaron