[Gnu-arch-users] tla undo

From: Brian May
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] tla undo
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2004 19:12:06 +1100

Hello,

To my surprise, I found undo irreversibly deleted a file, with
explicit naming.

mkdir newdir
tla add newdir
vim newdir/file
tla undo

Note that I "forgot" to run "tla add newdir/file".

tla undo correctly identifies newdir/file as a source file lacking an
inventory id, but then goes ahead and deletes it along with the rest
of newdir (or at least, I can't find it anywhere, so I assume it has
gone). However, since it wasn't a source file, it hasn't appeared in
the undo changeset.

IMHO, this is bad. I am not sure what the best solution is, but I can
think of the following possible solutions:

* tla should detect if any non-junk non-source (I suspect the same
issue might occur for precious files) file exists in newdir before
allowing the undo operation to go ahead, and complain with an error.

* tla doesn't delete the directory if there are non-junk non-source
files still in it; instead it will only delete the .arch-id/=id tag
file.

Comments?
--
Brian May <address@hidden>