Re: [Gnu-arch-users] extended attributes

From: Colin Walters
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] extended attributes
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2004 15:59:45 -0500

On Mon, 2004-01-05 at 15:22, Tom Lord wrote:

> On some operations and not others -- same (but for a different set of
> operations) as with extended attributes.   Meanwhile, popular
> implementations of extended attributes give you severe size limits

Well, I can't think of a reason to store huge amounts of data in an EA.
Have the EA just contain the name of a file to use which holds the data.

> and a flat-namespace of attributes.

At least on Linux now, the namespace is subdivided at the toplevel; it
is separated into "user", "system", and "security".  The difference
between "system" and "secure" is that the security namespace is only
used for LSM modules.