Re: [Gnu-arch-users] fd leak

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] fd leak
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2004 18:43:57 -0500

On Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 02:50:24PM -0800, Dustin Sallings wrote:
> During the brief death of savannah, someone had brought up a bugzilla
> system.  Would it be desirable to use that instead?  This thing seems a
> little lacking.

I agree the savannah bug system sucks, but there's a pretty big advantage to
using a system that's maintained in central, reliable (well, on `GNU time' as
Tom puts it, but you can generally assume that the FSF isn't going to go away
tomorrow) place that's pretty easy for people to find.

Morever, while bugzilla seems a bit better than the savannah bug tracker, it
has the same fundamentall problem: it's extremely web centric, which makes it
a address@hidden pain to deal with for many common uses.  If arch (or savannah;
ideally, all of savannah could move to something better) was to go to the
trouble of adopting another bug tracker, it would be very nice if it was
something that had a sane email interface, as submitting/dealing with bug via
email is generally much, much, much easier.  A web interface is good too, as
an adjunct -- it makes things like browsing bugs, and submitting for casual
users easier -- but good email support is more important I think.

Maybe debian's system is worth looking at; it also seems a bit creaky at
times, but certainly has been proven in hard use.

-Miles
--
Suburbia: where they tear out the trees and then name streets after them.