Re: [Gnu-arch-users] fd leak

From: Dustin Sallings
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] fd leak
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2004 16:44:11 -0800

On Jan 6, 2004, at 15:43, Miles Bader wrote:

I agree the savannah bug system sucks, but there's a pretty big advantage to using a system that's maintained in central, reliable (well, on `GNU time' as Tom puts it, but you can generally assume that the FSF isn't going to go away
tomorrow) place that's pretty easy for people to find.

I could've phrased that better. I understand the benefits to running the stuff at Savannah, just wondering if the general population thought the cost was too high.

Morever, while bugzilla seems a bit better than the savannah bug tracker, it has the same fundamentall problem: it's extremely web centric, which makes it
a address@hidden pain to deal with for many common uses.  If arch (or savannah;
ideally, all of savannah could move to something better) was to go to the trouble of adopting another bug tracker, it would be very nice if it was something that had a sane email interface, as submitting/dealing with bug via email is generally much, much, much easier. A web interface is good too, as an adjunct -- it makes things like browsing bugs, and submitting for casual
users easier -- but good email support is more important I think.

This is actually a pretty good point. Whatever happened to gnats? It was the bug tracker I used at home for quite a while. It had pretty decent emacs integration, too (not that I use emacs, but I would use it just because it was easier to file bugs that way). There were a variety of web interfaces for it, as well.

--
Dustin Sallings