Re: [Gnu-arch-users] trouble in archville (new archive)

From: Jan Hudec
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] trouble in archville (new archive)
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2004 15:35:27 +0100

On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 16:34:37 -0800, Kristian G. Kvilekval wrote:
> Short version:
>
> Does anybody have a script that will move your projects
> from and old archive to a new archive
> (for example archive-2003 -> archive--2004)
> so that I can continue to use star merge between branched
> projects?

Short answer: You neither need nor want to move anything between
archives. Star-merge always knows in which archive it should look for
a particular revision.

> Long version:
>

> I have a reasonably simply setup.  I would like
> to track the cvs archive of a project
> and have a branch of that archive to my own projects.
> To that end, I have setup an revision called
> zinf--cvstrunk--0 and track this with tla-cvs-sync
> which works pretty well.
>
> I have another arch branch called zinf--mdb--0.1
> branched from zinf--cvstrunk--0
>
> Originally I had an archive named
>   address@hidden
> I would like to update my archive name to
>   address@hidden
>
> I created the archive, changed the tree version
> in the working directories, created a tag for
> of the older versions:

OUCH! Never do that!

The archive name is really a part of the version name. Once archive gets
it's name, it's forever, so that links to that archive don't break (each
revision name includes the archive name).

You can make a continuation (a branch) of from your old archive to your
new archive and continue the work there, but there is generaly no reason
to do that, since you can't just discard the old archive anyway (you
would lost the history records). The archive cycling is intended to only
affect NEW categories you create, so that you don't end up with too many
categories in one archive.

> $tla make-archive address@hidden ~/.ARCHIVES/2004
> $tla archive-setup zinf--cvstrunk--0
>
> $cd zinf--cvstrunk
> $tla my-default-archive address@hidden
> $tla set-tree-version address@hidden/zinf--cvstrunk--0
> $tla tag address@hidden/zinf--cvstrunk--0 zinf--cvstrunk--0
>
> And similarly for zinf--mdb
>
> However, now when I try to star merge back and forth
> i.e. from zinf--mdb
>
> tla star-merge zinf--cvstrunk--0
>
> it gives
>
> $tla star-merge zinf--cvstrunk--0
> star-merge: unable to merge unrelated trees.

Revert the mess!

(Note: star-merge has --reference option, but you should really spend
some time trying to actualy understand what star-merge does before
trying to use it).

                                                 Jan 'Bulb' Hudec
<address@hidden>