Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: HEADS UP: checksums change is not backward comp

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: HEADS UP: checksums change is not backward compatible
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 17:01:44 -0800 (PST)

    > From: Samuel Tardieu <address@hidden>

    > > Well, not much we can do about this. the older tla wasn't robust in
    > > it's checksums parsing :[.

    > Which means that once Tom himself uses this patch, older versions of
    > tla won't be able to check out tla sources. I think this is worth a
    > big HEADS UP and making a tla tarball so that people can continue to
    > use it.

It shouldn't be difficult to modify these changes so that, for the
moment, they will generate _both_ md5 and sha1 checksums.   That can
be done in a way that will preserve upward compatability.

This issues effects users of tla-1.2pre0 and users of the latest (more
or less) head revision of tla--devo--1.2.

How about someone enhances these changes to be upward compatible (by
generating md5 sums) and then we can take that out in the second
release after 1.2pre1 (most likely called 1.2pre3 but possibly called
1.2)?