Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: HEADS UP: checksums change is not backward comp

From: Colin Walters
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: HEADS UP: checksums change is not backward compatible
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 00:56:20 -0500

On Thu, 2004-01-15 at 22:41, James Blackwell wrote:

> 67 out of 78 archives (as per mirrors.sourcecontrol.net) are md5
> checksumed. Let me repeat that in a different way.
>
> 78.2% are about to break.

No - SHA1 sums are optional.  No one will have to rebuild their
archives.

Let me lay this out as explicitly as possible.  The *only* problem I
know about is that people who are currently using tla 1.2pre0 will have
to upgrade their binary executable to 1.2 official.  No other changes
will have to be made.

That said, it's probably a good idea to rebuild your archive to include
SHA1 sums.  But by no means mandatory.