[Gnu-arch-users] Re: sha1 support

From: Robert Collins
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: sha1 support
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 10:03:41 +1100

On Mon, 2004-01-19 at 09:59, Colin Walters wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-01-18 at 17:06, Robert Collins wrote:
> > Colin,
> >     Tom is right, we can do better.
> >
> > I've reversed out your change. Please do the following:
> >
> > stuff the sha1's on a stack (or even cat to a big string :}) as they are
> > created, and flush that to the file when closing and processing.
>
> Dude, ugh.  Are you serious?  Why are we worrying so much about tla
> 1.2pre0?  In just a few weeks after everyone's upgraded to 1.2 final, we
> will have all completely forgotten about the issue.

Because.

a) It's quite easy to do.
b) Watersheds are bad. Even small ones can massively upset the
transition period, due to network effects: 78% of our known public
archives are signed. That means that when Tom commits, 78% of our
users-who-commit-shit will have to rebuild tla before they can get all
Tom's changes - if any. While I thought Tom's parser was completely
unable to handle sha1's in the same file, I supported a watershed. I
don't anymore.

Rob