[Gnu-arch-users] wiki duplication

From: Miles Bader
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] wiki duplication
Date: 19 Jan 2004 09:33:38 +0900

I've been adding my stuff to the arch wikis (wiki.sourcecontrol.net and
gnuarch.org) and I gotta say it's really annoying to have _two_ of them
-- with different markup syntax -- and as far as I can see, no
particularly good reason.

I'd say just dump the old wiki (gnuarch.org) and maybe mirror the
contents of wiki.sourcecontrol.net at that address.

My reasons for this are:

  (1) The wiki _content_ at sourcecontrol.net seems to be a lot less
      convoluted and confusing than those at the old wiki (not that it's
      all that great, but it's a much less depressing starting point
      than the big-ball-of-hair old wiki site).

      [I don't think this is the result of any size difference between
      the two sites either -- for whatever reason the layout on the old
      wiki seems almost designed to be hard to use.]

  (2) While both wiki engines have their share of stupid-markup-juggling
      (is this a rule for wikis or what?), in the process of duplicating
      my pages, I found `moinmoin' to be a fair bit _less_ annoying than
      `twiki'.

      [Looking at the docs, moinmoin's markup language seems to be
      somewhat uglier and weirder, but in fact I found it seemed a lot
      more pleasant in practice.  Oh and also twiki does have better
      documentation...]

What do people think?

A lot of the content on the old wiki seems vaguely out-of-date, but it
should be easy enough to convert anything important.

-Miles
--
.Numeric stability is probably not all that important when you're guessing.