Re: [Gnu-arch-users] wiki duplication

From: Adam Spiers
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] wiki duplication
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 08:47:00 +0000

James Blackwell (address@hidden) wrote:
> In lists.arch.users, you wrote:
> > I've been adding my stuff to the arch wikis (wiki.sourcecontrol.net and
> > gnuarch.org) and I gotta say it's really annoying to have _two_ of them
> > -- with different markup syntax -- and as far as I can see, no
> > particularly good reason.
> >
> > I'd say just dump the old wiki (gnuarch.org) and maybe mirror the
> > contents of wiki.sourcecontrol.net at that address.
>
> 1. How would you propose we contact the maintainer at the old wiki?
>
> 2. If we can do #1, what do we do about converting the database? For all
> I know, he's keeping his pages in mysql.

AFAIK all standard TWikis use text files under RCS as their backend.
If we can get hold of the raw markup (at worst, should be possible via
a wget on the edit URL) it should be a simple matter to knock up some
Perl to produce moinmoin markup.

Talking of markup syntax, reStructuredText seems to be the best out
there by quite a way.  Given that moinmoin is python and there is
work ongoing on integration of the two:

  http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/moinmoin/ReStructuredText

maybe anyone who isn't keen on moinmoin's existing syntax might be
inclined to help out with that project.