Re: [Gnu-arch-users] tla file-locking (good idea or bad idea?)

From: Jeremy Shaw
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] tla file-locking (good idea or bad idea?)
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 10:43:35 -0800

At Wed, 21 Jan 2004 08:07:56 -0500,
Aaron Bentley wrote:

> Jeremy Shaw wrote:
>
> >We have an autobuilder that can
> >check out a project, build the .debs, and upload the packages and
> >source to our local 'debian' repository. When the autobuilder checks
> >out a package, it automatically generates a new debian/changelog entry
> >in its local copy before it starts the build. If the build is
> >successful, it will commit the debian/changelog. If the build fails,
> >then it will send an email, and leave the debian/changelog alone.
> >

> How about:
>
> The autobuilder runs its tests.  Then it updates its working directory.
> Then it appends the changelog entry and commits.

Hrm, I don't think that would work. The changelog has to be updated
before the build takes place, because the information in the changelog
affects the outcome of the build. (version number of the .deb files,
etc)

The current autobuilder is (in theory) designed to be source
repository independant. It has an interface abstraction layer so that
different source repositories (cvs, tla, etc) can be plugged in
and used simultaneously. Of course, this assumes that there is a
minimum set of features that all source control systems can
implement. Apparently file locking is not one of them.

Of course, if the autobuilder didn't have to access tla archives
through a very limited abstraction layer, that might really open up
some exciting possibilities. So, there is definately some interest in
doing that further down the line -- but that requires a lot more time.

Jeremy Shaw.