Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: tla file-locking (good idea or bad idea?)

From: Colin Walters
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: tla file-locking (good idea or bad idea?)
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 19:40:00 -0500

On Wed, 2004-01-21 at 19:11, Jeremy Shaw wrote:

> [...] So
> normally, we let the autobuilder modify the debian changelog, and we
> don't touch it at all.

> However, sometimes it is neccessary to make a non-autogenerated debian
> changelog entry.

This seems to me to be the root of your problem - you're mixing
generated and human-edited work.  That's always going to be messy, and
really you shouldn't do it.

But what you're doing is kind of straying far enough from the way Debian
does things to make life difficult for you with the current Debian
tools.

The best thing I can think of is to have a separate debian/changes file,
which is intended only for writing by humans.  It would contain the
major version of the package.  The autobuilder would parse this file,
and suffix the major version with a minor number indicating which
rebuild this is, and use that as the version in debian/changelog.