Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Making microbranches popular [was: Re-linking t

From: Dustin Sallings
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Making microbranches popular [was: Re-linking to revlib implemented]
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 13:41:59 -0800

On Jan 21, 2004, at 13:06, Jean Helou wrote:

I am still a newbie with arch so I might miss something  but why not
simply create a new archive when the current one becomes too cluttered
to ones taste ?
Then you only have to tag your active categories as continuation into
the new archive and its cleaned.Eventually cachereving these new
branches so you can even move the old archive on to a backup system.

The problem I have with this is the history that *isn't* available any longer. The patch log tells you what you said you did and what files you changed, but doesn't show you the actual changes you made.

For example, I keep lots of little projects in lots of languages around. Occasionally, when I'm trying to do something, I'll look for something I did that's similar previously. I may have found that in this other project I pulled the code I'm seeking for various reasons, but I want to see how I did it. Going to backup is terribly inconvenient for this.

Rolling an archive will give you a cleaner view and speed up replication (unless something similar could be done to avoid mirroring a ``closed'' branch), but I'm not sure I'll ever want to actually take one offline.

--
Dustin Sallings