Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Making microbranches popular

From: Robert Collins
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Making microbranches popular
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 20:36:49 +1100

On Tue, 2004-01-27 at 16:20, Jeffrey Yasskin wrote:

> I seem to remember Tom saying that he was willing to make the version
> numbers more flexible if someone could provide a sort function for them.
> Am I delusional, and if not, is that offer still open? Would that fix
> this problem?

No. This problem is trying to shoehorn a square block into a round hole.

Tla's versioning infrastructure is not targeted at complex version
strings - see how tom id's his preX and actual releases for an example.
I think I sent an email saying 'use configs'. And I KNOW that Tom sent
one too.

configs are the Right Way to do this. (For more than tla - for CVS, svn
and more).

Rob