Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: signatures and checking

From: Robert Collins
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: signatures and checking
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 20:46:58 +1100

On Tue, 2004-01-27 at 14:24, Tom Lord wrote:

> If my archive is bitwise-identical to yours, and you have checked
> signatures, and I trust that you've checked signatures, then I don't
> need to check signatures.
>
> That means that what you (the signature checker) see for checksum data
> and what I (the non-signature checker) see for that data must be the
> same.

Which means you cannot use clearsigned signatures. They will alter lines
in the body to prevent the end of signature being incorrectly
identified.

Choose one:
use gpg to extract signed data
use detached signatures.

I think that using gpg to extract signed data is not a big hurdle. gpg
is very portable (to every platform tla is AFAIK).

Rob