Re: [Gnu-arch-users] signatures and checking

From: Robert Collins
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] signatures and checking
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 17:02:41 +1100

On Tue, 2004-01-27 at 11:58, Tom Lord wrote:
> Several people have all agreed that the correct thing to do with
> signed checksum files is to ask gpg to print the signed content to
> stdout and to use that output rather than the contents of the file
> when parsing checksum data.
>
> They point out that, for example, gpg might perform some kind of
> quoting on the checksum data and that quoting can only be reliably
> reversed by asking GPG to make the reversal.
>
> I believe that that view is incorrect, though I'd like some feedback
> about my opinion in case I've missed something obvious.
>
> I would like checksum files to have the following properties:
>
> 1. Checksum data can be reliably extracted from them by tla
>    _even_if_ the user has no ~/.arch-params/.../*.check file
>    for the relevent archive.
>

> 2. They are "all in one" -- tla can read them, along with the
>    signature, in a single file-fetch from the archive.
>    In other words, detached signatures are not an option.

There's a patch to do most of this, and to use gpg to extraxt the data.
I've yet to review it. The key thing to remember is that the clearsigned
data /may/ be escaped by gpg. So if it's a signed archive, we should
always use gpg to extract the data, and with no check command, we could
default to 'gpg' ourselves. (Isn't a signed archive with no check a
failure anyway ?)

Rob