Re: [Gnu-arch-users] signatures and checking

From: Johannes Berg
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] signatures and checking
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 18:50:24 +0100

> There is no value to such a rule as it would be trivial to circumvent.

Yeah I guess this was bogus since you can always stick
whatevercommand || true
in your check rule

In any case -- I can see that you'd rather stick to the external processing.
I can also see that this might be an advantage generally to keep more stuff
out of tla.

However, I still think that it would be helpful to use the output of the
checking command for some other reasons:

a) symmetry: output of the sign command is the file,
so shouldn't the output of the check command
be the checksum data? Basically the data tla requires
takes a round-trip through the external tools.

b) requires less from users: you don't have to have a script to
check if there's any data around the signed part.
Some people would even like to see gpg support built-in without
requiring external checking/signing files.

In any case, IMHO both are reasons to have the round-tripping.

johannes