Re: [Gnu-arch-users] RFC: arch protocol, smart server, and tla implement

From: Colin Walters
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] RFC: arch protocol, smart server, and tla implementation prototypes
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 22:44:44 -0500

On Thu, 2004-01-29 at 18:52, Miles Bader wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 29, 2004 at 06:34:55PM -0500, Colin Walters wrote:
> > First, "why a smart server?".  This has been discussed on the mailing
> > list in the past, but here's a far-from-exhaustive list of reasons:
>
> BTW, another thing which I think is important is to reduce latency problems
> where possible

Yep, that's what I meant by "avoiding server roundtrips"...

> That is, try to (1) chunk things up (send/get lists of things rather than
> one thing at a time),

The current protocol does that already where applicable; for example,
the "categories" command returns a single serialized rel_table instead
of requiring a roundtrip for every category.

>  (2) design your protocols so they can be streamed
> (instead of a series of short operation-replies, allow a bunch of operations
> to be sent as a batch, with well-defined behavior in the case of mid-batch
> failure).

What commands specifically do you see being used in this context?  The
only one that comes to mind at the moment is making 'abrowse' more
efficient.  Maybe more will arise though when I get to comitting and
such.