Re: [Gnu-arch-users] add-id

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] add-id
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 13:35:32 -0800 (PST)

    > From: Johannes Berg <address@hidden>

    > Whats the use of being able to run tla add-id outside a project tree. I
    > mean, the project tree check isn't that expensive that it couldn't be
    > done, is there any reason it is not done? I think its rather odd that
    > you should be able to tell tla that it should handle some file when in
    > fact it can never do so due to the fact that its not inside a managed
    > tree.

Possibly such a check is desirable but the principled reason it wasn't
written that way in the first place is: why add arbitrary
restrictions?  Perhaps I'm doing the `add' and `init-tree' steps in
"the other order" -- should tla really prohibit that?

    > Also, related to that, why doesn't `tla add-id .arch-ids' complain? Or
    > `tla add-id {arch}'?

Those checks are more obviously desirable.  Although you can `rm -rf
/bin', too.