[Gnu-arch-users] Re: Gnu-arch-users Digest, Vol 2, Issue 51

From: Pierce T . Wetter III
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Gnu-arch-users Digest, Vol 2, Issue 51
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 13:35:55 -0700

 The next thing I noticed was that while CVS and Subversion let you
structure your projects and sub projects via the filesystem, arch
really tries to grab the whole filesystem as one unit. You can override
this a bit, but it involves setting up some config files.

Not really. Configs are optional automation. Filesystem structure
happens on the client.

For us, there is a certain amount of meta information implied by the directory layout of the master source set. CVS/SVL kind of support that by being stupid about projects. Arch is smarter about projects, but ends up removing that
implied feature.

   While tla is ok as a low-level tool, I've observed that everyone
keeps trying to replace it with a driving script. That's a good
instinct. For one thing, I think that:

  user--archive--task

  is harder to read then:

 tla make-archive --id address@hidden  --name archive

tla archive-setup --project hello-world --branch mainline --version 0.1

You have too much time on your hands.

Well, that was kind of snide. You're only new to a tool once. Judging from the wiki, _everyone_ has problems grokking the blah--blah--blah format, why not
support breaking it up? It would be less confusing.

 Something I'd also like to see that I implied above:

doesn't currently have any concept of a "master" repository, I think it
makes sense that the high-level commands would support this concept
that you have local archives you can commit to all the time, with a
remote archive you commit to less often.

Impractical. It won't make sense for most people. This sort of thing
is acutely site-specific.

Hmmm... For most projects, it would seem to me that contributing changes towards
a master build would make a lot of sense.

 Pierce