Re: [Gnu-arch-users] The version field

From: Aaron Bentley
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] The version field
Date: 24 Feb 2004 11:29:52 -0500

On Tue, 2004-02-24 at 10:57, Yannick Gingras wrote:

> I currently use CVS for my pet project, OBB, our last release is
> 0.7.1.  Now lets suppose that I migrate OBB, 0.7.1 from CVS to arch.
> Should I put it in
>
>   obb--main--0.9

I'd put it in as obb--devel--0.  When you're ready to release, then you
can branch to obb--release--0.9.  The devel branch can continue
indefinitely.  This way, you'll be fine if you choose to release a 0.8
in the end, or skip 0.9 and go straight to 1.0

> Oh how do you give names, like "0.9-alpha-3", to branches in a tag
> branch ?

Strictly speaking, that's not possible.  Howver, you can have
obb--alpha--0.9--patch-2

Or, you can use commit --seal when you actually release.

Package versions are mainly for human use, and Arch doesn't pay a lot of
attention to them.  So how you choose to name things is really up to
you.

Aaron

--
Aaron Bentley