Re: [Gnu-arch-users] fedora core 2 will include subversion (and not gnu

From: Adrian Irving-Beer
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] fedora core 2 will include subversion (and not gnu arch)
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 22:54:05 -0500

On Thu, Feb 26, 2004 at 05:23:12PM -0800, Steve Folta wrote:

> How do you handle the dot files?  Keep them in a "~/dot-files" tree and
> link to them in "~"?

Speaking personally, I keep all my config files (bin/ scripts,
dot-files, profiles, TinyFugue script files, SSH config, Nethack wrapper
and name-generator, etc.) in a private 'rc' category checked out to
~/rc.  Then I symlink everything into place...

        rc/bashrc -> .bashrc
        rc/bin -> bin/rc
        bin/rc/some-script -> bin/some-script

etc.  Symbolic links all the way.  Has worked for me for over a year
now.  Previously, it was in Coda (distributed, disconnected FS).  Now,
it's in arch (distributed, disconnected SCM).

I used Coda until I realised a) I was sick of losing connection and not
realising until I had conflicts I could never seem to repair (tar,
reinitialise Coda, untar.. sigh), b) I couldn't use it on production
machines due to stability, and c) having revision history was better
anyway.

The transition to arch was, as expected, just a simple matter of adding
tags and renaming 'coda' to 'rc'.  Has worked for me ever since.

Soon I may start signing it.  Of course, chicken-and-egg issue there...
if I put an arch and GnuPG config and some GnuPG keyrings in it, I can't
check it until I've checked it out.  Such is life with arch managing
arch, though. ;)