Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: fedora core 2 will include subversion (and not

From: Colin Walters
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: fedora core 2 will include subversion (and not gnu arch)
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 16:05:04 -0500

On Thu, 2004-02-26 at 14:42, John Goerzen wrote:
> On 2004-02-22, Tom Lord <address@hidden> wrote:
> > More interesting than a distro that _includes_ arch would be a distro
> > _managed_by_ arch.
>
> That would be nice, but there are a couple of really critical features
> that I think are missing -- and which, in fact, make me periodically
> consider going back to Subversion:
>
> 1. "cvs diff" and "cvs log" features on a per-file basis.  Show me what
> changed in this file from patch-23 to patch-50, and not all the other
> crap alongside it.

#!/bin/sh
# usage: tla-file-delta patch-n patch-m
tla delta $1 $2 ,delta-$1-$2
tla show-changeset --diffs ,delta-$1-$2 | filterdiff -i "$3"
rm ,delta-$1-$2 -rf

> Also, show me only the log entries that touched this
> file.

#!/bin/sh
for log in $(tla logs); do
  if tla cat-log | grep "$1" 1>/dev/null; then
     echo $log
  fi
done

Now, having given my answers above, one question to ask is - what
exactly do you mean by "this file"?  Are you talking about the file
name, or the file identity?  Suppose you want the diffs between foo.c in
patch-10 and foo.c in patch-30.  Suppose further than in patch-15, you
renamed foo.c to bar.c, and baz.c to foo.c.  What exactly do you want to
see the delta of?  foo.c (previously baz.c) as of patch-15 versus foo.c
as of patch-30?  Or do you want the original foo.c in patch-10 (now
bar.c), versus the current foo.c in patch-30?  There's even more ways to
answer this question.

So it should be clear why tla doesn't include an operator for diffs
between files - it's impossible to answer the question in general.  But
since you can get the answer to any of those questions with a quick
shell script, I don't see a big problem at all.

> 2. Performance.

This is a little harder to write as a 3-line shell script :)  But Robert
Collins is working on it, and it sounds like he's having good success.

BTW, both shell scripts are untested, but surely you get the idea...