[Gnu-arch-users] Re: Why we might use subversion instead of arch.

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Why we might use subversion instead of arch.
Date: 27 Feb 2004 15:58:00 -0500

> OK, I will.  Everything I had ever read about revlibs indicated to me
> that it wouldn't be any benefit.  I'm still confused as to why it may
> be, and such a significant one at that.

Think of a greedy revlib as a cache of fully built revisions, or a set of
pristine trees (actually tla can (and does now IIRC) use the revlib instead
of the pristine tree).  The only thing you might need to do manually is to
flush parts of it if it grows too large.  Hopefully tla will include some
automatic way to do that for you at some point.

> And the fact that it is "slow out of the box" is not necessarily a good
> thing either.

Agreed.  The default config should setup a greedy library and the user
shouldn't have to do it manually.  I find tla completely unusable without
a revlib.

        Stefan